Saturday, December 10, 2016

I am an Extra Class Operator


In 1958, my friend Freddy and I studied Morse Code with the intention of becoming licensed Ham Radio operators. Then Junior High School happened, along with the 60's and other decades of distraction, so I never got licensed.  About 3 years ago, I became interested in hobby electronics. In the process I built a crystal radio, and all the ham interest came back. A little over a year ago, I decided to investigate the local ham community.  I found an active, vibrant community so I decided to get licensed. I passed my first exam in January of this year.

As of about 9:45 AM EST 10 December 2016, I am an Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator. I passed the test with a 100% score. I have now taken all 3 Ham Radio license exams this year. I scored 100% on the Technician, got 1 wrong on the General (although when they asked me the question after the test I got it right), and 100% on the Extra.

So, now I have to go learn what the questions really mean--but I am proud and happy, and I have made two QSOs (contacts) so far with my new privileges.


No comments:

Post a Comment