Wednesday, December 13, 2017

12V DC Power Strip

Assembled and tested, ready for use

I have been busy with some projects lately, and have not been active on the blog. This effort is a small part of my desk project that will be on the blog soon (give or take...).  The desk will accommodate (among other things) my amateur radio equipment.  Amateur radio stuff generally runs off ~12V DC (actually closer to 13.8). There are DC power strips available commercially, but because they handle 30 Amps or more and are intended to be fed by a power supply designed for a radio, they are expensive. I just want to power a fan that cools the radio and a station "on air" sign, so I don't need that.

So, I got a Harbor Freight givaway 110VAC power strip, and took it apart.

I cut off the power cord (it will make an extension cord someday), removed the safety ground copper strip, and drilled out the slots for the prongs of AC plugs to accommodate DC binding posts.
Strip with holes drilled, and some posts installed. Note the mod to the red post on the right.
I cut off the threaded bottom parts to leave just the post (see photo).  Then I soldered the bare binding posts to the copper strips on the positive and negative rails, and screwed bottom back on.
Next I needed a 12V supply. I bought an old wall wart for US$2 at a "Hamfest" (that's basically a flea market for amateur radio people, although there can be some high priced stuff there). Since the jack on the wall wart was not standard, I cut it off and just soldered the wires to the wires to the power strip. It will handle 1250mA, which should be sufficient. As shown in the first photo, it worked. Next step: plug the 200mm computer case fan into the power strip.

Fan plugged into power strip
I'll add the On Air sign after Santa Claus brings it.

Preview of the desk. The blue light to the right of the monitor and behind the radio is the fan--it has 4 blues LEDs, powered by the wall wart through the power strip. My old desk is on the left. It will be removed soon.
I've been using the desk, although we have a couple of additions to make.  We'll add a slide-out drawer for the keyboard and mouse, and a pull-out work surface on the right, over the computers. We also have some trim to add. When I say "we" I mean my brother-in-law--the one with the skills--under my "supervision."

No comments:

Post a Comment