Sunday, March 13, 2016

J-Pole on the house, base station set up



The J-Pole antenna I built (see this post) is now mounted on the house to serve as my permanent antenna for 2 meters.  We sealed the coax connections with electrical tape and soldered the crosspiece with the SO-239 connector to each of the antenna elements to make a permanent electrical connection.  The RG-58 coax is connected to a lightning arrestor, and then to another piece of coax via a female-female adapter. Those connections are wrapped with electrical tape, and the coax goes through a hole in the singles and wall into the area above a drop ceiling in my basement, then down the wall and under my desk  to my new base station radio (Yaesu FT-1900R, with a 13.8V power supply). The lightning arrestor is connected to a 10ft ground rod, driven into the ground, via #12AWG wire.

It works great!

Next steps: finish studying for my general class license. pass the test, by an HF rig, put up a multiband dipole antenna, and expand my ham horizons.


No comments:

Post a Comment