Saturday, August 22, 2015

@MAKE #Electronics Experiment 32: Robot Cart (Part IIA-Better)

3rd attempt at the cart.  Used a hand saw this time, and my handy drill. I marked Xs on the pieces I want to cut out to remind me what I'm doing.

Cart is now fabricted.  You can see some damage from bending the frame, but it will do for now.  I may redo it if I like the final product and want to showcase it.
OK, so I can't follow directions. It's a good thing I bought 10 sheets of ABS, because I have ruined 2 now, and may need another.  I got through my measuring, drilling and cutting, only to see that I pu the cuts on the wrong side.  So, I measured and drilled again...that's the top photo..and took the step to mark the pieces that wanted to cut out.

I made the cuts. used my heat gun to soften the plastic, and bent the sides.  I left the final cuts (removing the short pieces on what would become the top) so I could bend those into a position to cut them.  It was ugly.

I'd like to say that I started on the wrong side on purpose (one side is textured and the other smooth), but it was by mistake. It turned out to be almost OK because I had significant shaping and deburring to do, using my Harbor Freight Dremelish tool.

When I bent the frame back to put the textured side out, there was some damage (see lower photo).  It's usable as-is, so I'm going with it.  If I really like the cart when it's done. I'll redo the frame.

Next:
By some 14" plywood, the hardware (hinge, bolts, nuts, screws), and maybe some 3" disks to use as wheels,  as suggested by James Floyd Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment